If you're tired of your old ratty gym clothes and want to up your workout game, we’ve got the perfect hack for you. In this article, we are going to show you how easy it is to create your own tie dye activewear from home. All the supplies will be available at most major retailers or craft stores and it's surprisingly affordable! So if you're looking for a way of spicing up your gym wear without breaking the bank then read on. The instructions are simple enough that even kids can get involved with this project too!
Here are 5 easy steps to tie dye at home.
Supplies you will need✏️
Rubber bands or string
Fabric dye (we recommend RIT for synthetic)
The biggest cooking pot you can find
Activewear you want to dye
Old towel to protect surfaces from spills.
1. Wet down your activewear to remove any finishes that may interfere with dye absorption and leave damp.
2. Use the rubber bands or string and create lots of knob-like balls all over the garment until it’s one big ball with lots of growths. The more creative you get with this the more patterns your activewear will have.
3. Fill your pot with 11.3 Litres of water, leaving some room at the top so it doesn’t overflow. Cover pot and heat water on the stovetop to just below boiling. Wear your rubber gloves and pour 1 cup of dye into the simmering water.
4. Add your pre-tied activewear into the dyebath and stir with your ladle. A hot tip is to dip the entire garment into the water then scooping it out with your ladle and pouring some extra dye on sections you want to appear darker. Leave the garment in the water for 12-15 minutes depending on how dark you want them. Stir continuously for even dyeing and keep the temperature at a low simmer during the dyeing process.
5. Remove activewear from dyebath and wash under cold water until the water runs clear. Remove string or rubber bands, then put your activewear in the washing machine on a warm cycle and detergent with no other clothes as the dye runs.
Tie-dying your activewear is a great way to give it new life. We hope you enjoyed the five easy steps on how you can tie dye without getting your hands dirty!
💡If this sounds too complicated and you want to buy some pre-dyed workout clothes, check out our collection of tie dyed activewear here. ⬇️